Each year the Board of Trustees of the Jewish Communal Fund makes a Community Gift from revenues and fees to support programs and institutions that promote the welfare and security of the Jewish community at home and abroad.
Our Community Gift has two components: a $2 million donation to the Annual Campaign of UJA-Federation of New York and grants from the JCF Special Gifts Fund. Since 1999, more than $17 million has been awarded from the Special Gifts Fund to over a dozen worthy causes selected with the assistance of UJA-Federation of NY. They include:
- $375,000 to the United Jewish Council of the East Side to provide a Digital Choice Food Pantry
- $250,000 for New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) to provide free Civil Legal Services at the Brooklyn Resource Hub
- $125,000 to the Community Initiative for Holocaust Survivors (CIHS) showcasing “Hours of Freedom”
- $90,000 to support the Marion & Aaron Gural JCC to cover increased food costs at the new Sustenance Center
- $500,000 for the Digital Choice Food Pantry at the Central Queens Y Community Resource Hub
- $500,000 for a New Home Base at the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds’ Long Island site
- $100,000 to build a sensory gym at The Harold and Elaine Shames JCC on the Hudson
- $125,000 to UJA-Federation of New York for the expansion of the Witness Theater Holocaust education project
- $65,000 to support Selfhelp Community Services‘ 26 Coffee Houses
- $65,000 to provide scholarships for the JCC of Manhattan’s Camp Settoga for children from low-income families
- $150,000 to UJA-Federation of New York for the expansion of the Witness Theater Holocaust education project, a unique intergenerational program that brings Holocaust survivors and teenagers to develop a theatrical presentation of the survivors’ Holocaust experiences. JCF’s grant will help to continue this valuable program at four schools in Manhattan and Brooklyn, as well as bring this powerful educational experience to Westchester.